M Jeri Imansyah
Address : Jl Sudirman IV,Gg Karya Bhakti II no 6,
To pursue a challenging professional career in natural resource conservation or a biological field within a progressive institution that allows me to develop ideas and expertise.
Ø Six year’s professional experiences in conservation projects including research and managerial oversight.
Ø Capable to be responsible for the operational/managerial oversight of project, including designing proposal and budget, undertaking activities, also monitoring and post project evaluation.
Ø Possess a considerable diligence and strong work ethic to undertake varies and often arduous conservation, research / monitoring, and training activities.
Ø Possess remarkable ability in public relations in difficult political and administrative contexts.
Ø Capable to demonstrate technical capacity to grasp and comprehend various conservation and monitoring methodologies and associated experimental design with high proficiency.
Ø Capable to works very well both independently and as part of a team member.
Ø Proficient in operating MS Office (e.g Words, Excell, Power Point), SPSS, Sigma Plot, ESRI ArcView, Ecological Methodology (Krebbs 1999), Fractal (
Mar 2007 - Present (contract will be terminated in January 2008)
Komodo Survival Program, Denpasar
Program Coordinator / Acting Project Leader
Supervisor : Dr. Claudi Ciofi (Scientific Advisor)
Ø Responsibilities including designing activities, designing monitoring protocols for Komodo dragon and terrestrial wildlife, developing proposal and budget, government and stakeholders relationship in term of initiating collaborative terrestrial monitoring program in Komodo National Park and Flores, also in charge for the operational / managerial for the program.
Jun 2002 – Jul 2007
Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Species,
Research Officer / Assistant to Project Leader
Supervisor : Dr. Tim Jessop (Project Leader), and Dr Andy Phillips (Deputy Director of CRES)
Ø Responsibilities included assisting project leader in organizing and conducting programs for field research on the Komodo dragon and other terrestrial wildlife including mammals and birds. In addition, I was involved in capacity building & education, report compilation writing and translation, database and equipment management, as well as in charge as a liaison officer for CRES-ZSSD Komodo Project to undertake coordination activities with other governmental, NGO, and broadcaster institutions. In the absence of Project Leader, I was also in charge for the operational/managerial oversight of this project.
Nov 2001 – May 2002
Research Fellow / Assistant to Project Leader
Supervisor : Ir. IDPP Sastrawan MAgrSc (former Director of KOMIREC)
Ø Responsibilities included organizing and conducting activities for field research on hatchling of the Komodo Dragons in the
Nov 2003 – Dec 2006
Master of Science (MSc) in Zoology / Biological Conservation by thesis
Ø School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences,
Ø Thesis title “Spatial Ecology of Hatchling and Juvenile Komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis) in the
Ø Supervised by Prof. Dr. Zubaid Akbar (main supervisor, UKM) and Dr. Tim Jessop (co supervisor, CRES / Zoos Victoria)
Ø Full scholarship & research aids provided by the CRES-ZSSD and AZA (USD 18,225)
Aug 1995 – Jun 2001
Bachelor of Science (SSi) in Biology by thesis
Ø Department of Biology,
Ø Undergraduate thesis title “Daily Movement and Activity of Bali Starling (Leucosar rothschildi) in the
Ø Supervised by Sudaryanto, MS (Unud) and Ir IDPP Sastrawan, MAgrSc. (Unud)
Ø Academic Achievement Improvement Scholarship 2000-2001
Aug 1999 – Aug 2000
Diploma 1 (D1) in English
Ø LDTEC, Faculty of Letter,
Ø GIS and its application for Nature Resource Management Feb 2003
BIOTROP Training and
Ø Bat Research and Conservation Training May 2003
Malaysian Bat Conservation and Research
Ø Protected Animal Treatment Management Jul 2000
Directorate General of PHKA, Indonesian Forestry Department,
Ø ZOPP Implementation for Project Development. Aug 1999
GTZ and BirdLife
Ø Environmental Impact Assessment (AMDAL A). Jul 1999
Ø Management for Non Profit Organization. May 1999
Ø Primate Behavior and Ecology Jul-Aug 1997
Ø Advance training on First aid and SAR Management May 1996
Indonesian Red Cross Society Bali branch.
Ø Basic Training on First aid and SAR Nov 1995
Indonesian Red Cross Society Bali branch.
Research highlights (2001-present)
Ø Komodo dragon broad scale ecology : population ecology, spatial ecology, annual prey density, annual reproduction, annual recruitment, annual movement
Ø Population and nest ecology of Yellow-crested Cockatoo
Ø Birds of
Ø Raptor Migration in Bali and
National / International Achievements
BirdLife International Programme
Ø Second Winner,
Department of Biology of
National and International Seminar / Workshops / Internships
Ø Participant, International Forestry Parallel Events on UNFCCC Dec 2007
United Nation, Ministry of Forestry of
Ø Oral presentation, International Seminar on Biology Sept 2007
Faculty of Biology,
Ø Oral presentation, National Seminar on Herpetology May 2007
Faculty of Forestry,
Ø Internship, Komodo Project May 2006
Ø Visiting lecturer for Animal Behavior Class 2003; 2004; 2005
Department of Biology,
Ø Volunteer, Bat Conservation and Research May 2003
Malaysian Bat Conservation and Research Unit
Ø Bali Starling preservation Jul 2001
Indonesian Ministry of Environmental
Ø Marliana Chrismiawati, candidate for BSc in Forestry,
Ø Makhrabi Akbar, SSi (Biology), Dept of Biology,
Ø Rachel Rarawoda, SSi (Biology), Dept of Biology,
Broadcasting / Media Consultancies
Ø Consultant, National History of
Ø Consultant, National Geographic USA (Flores Python and Komodo dragon Project) Jun, Jul 2007
Ø Interviewee, Metro TV Indonesia Sep 2006
Ø Consultant, NHK Japan Aug 2006
Ø Interviewee, Kompas
Ø Interviewee, Metro TV Indonesia Apr 2005
Ø Consultant, Two Hands Production,
Ø Consultant, Tigress Production
Ø Interviewee, Radio BBC
Ø Liaison officer, National Geographic USA Oct 2003
Ø American Zoo Association 2005
Research grant (USD 3,225) for research on spatial ecology of immature Komodo dragon in the
Ø Oriental Bird Club, England 2005
Conservation Grant (GBP 500) for Survey on Yellow Crested Cockatoo in the
Ø Government of
Research grant (IDR 7.000.000) for research on Bali Starling in
Ø Member, International Varanid Interest Group 2007 – Present
Ø Member, Indonesian Ornithological
Ø Advisory Board Member,
Ø Member, Raptor
Ø Member, Ekapaksi Alumni Volunteer for Indonesian Red Cross Society 2001 – Present
Ø Member, Earthwatch Institute
Ø Coordinator, NGOs Network for
Ø Representative of
Ø Representative of HIMABIO UNUD as Member Member, Jaring PELA 1999 – 2001
Ø Chairperson, Student Association of Department Biology of
Dr. Tim S. Jessop
- Ecologist, Department of Wildlife Conservation and Science, Zoos
- Contact: ph +61 392859387, 392859300, fax _61 392859350, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Claudio Ciofi,
- Assistant Professor, Department of Animal Biology and Genetic,
- Komodo Dragon SSP Grant Review Panel.
- Contact: ph +39 0552288290, fax +390552288289, email email@example.com
Prof. Dr. Zubaid Akbar
- Professor, School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan
- Contact: ph +60 389213827, 389251081, email firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Ir. IDPP Putra Sastrawan, M.Agr.Sc
- Senior lecturer, Dept. of Biology,
- Contact: mobile +62 81337762988, email firstname.lastname@example.org,.
Dr. John A Phillips
- Deputy Director, Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Species,
- Contact: ph +1 6192311515, email email@example.com.
Highlighted Reports, Publications, and Thesis, (published) 2003-October 2007
1. Imansyah, M.J, Jessop T.S., Ciofi, C., Akbar, Z. 2007. Ontogenetic differences in the spatial ecology of immature Komodo Dragons. Journal of Zoology 2007: 1-9 (online article, doi:10.1111/j.1469-7998.2007.00368.x).
2. Jessop, T.S., Ciofi, C., Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Ariefiandy, A., Rudiharto, H. 2007. Biawak Komodo di pulau kecil lebih rentan.
3. Imansyah, M.J. 2006. Spatial ecology of hatchling and juvenile Komodo dragons in the Komodo National Park, Indonesia. MSc thesis. University Kebangsaan
4. Imansyah, M.J., Anggoro, D.G., Yangpatra, N., Hidayat, A., Benu, Y.J. 2005. Sebaran dan karakteristik pohon sarang kakatua jambul kuning (Cacatua sulphurea parvula) di Pulau Komodo, Taman Nasional Komodo. Report from the Zoological Society of
5. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Rudiharto, H., Jessop, T.S., 2005. Laporan no 3 rekapitulasi hasil penelitian ekologi biawak komodo (Varanus komodoensis) di taman nasional komodo 2002 – 2004. Report from the Zoological Society of
6. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Rudiharto, H., Jessop, T.S. 2003. Survei Potensi Hidupan Liar Terestrial di Pulau Komodo, Taman Nasional Komodo 2002. Report from the the Zoological Society of
7. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Jessop, T.S. 2002. Materi Kursus 1: Dasar-dasar Sistem Informasi Geografis untuk Staff Taman Nasional Komodo. Report from the the Zoological Society of
8. Jessop, T.S., Madsen, T., Ciofi, C., Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Rudiharto, H., Arifiandy, A., Phillips, J.A. 2007. Island differences in population size structure and catch per unit effort and their conservation implications for Komodo dragons. Biological Conservation 135: 247-255.
9. Jessop, T.S, Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Ariefiandy, A., Rudiharto, H., Seno, A., Opat, D.S., Noviandi, T., Payung,
10. Jessop, T.S., Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Ariefiandy, A., Rudiharto, H. 2007. Panduan pemantauan ekologi di Taman Nasional Komodo,
11. Jessop, T.S., Forsyth, D.M., Purwandana, D., Imansyah, J., Opat, D.S., McDonald-Madden, E. 2005. Monitoring the ungulate prey of Komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis) using faecal counts. Report from the the Zoological Society of
12. Jessop T.S., Sumner J., Rudiharto H., Purwandana D., Imansyah M.J., Phillips, J.A. 2004. Distribution, use and selection of nest type by Komodo Dragons. Biological Conservation 117: 463 – 470.
Highlighted Publications in progress
1. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Jessop T.S., Ciofi, C., Akbar, Z., Ariefiandy, A., Phillips., J.A. 2007. Pergerakan dan wilayah aktivitas pada Biawak Komodo (Varanus komodoensis) di Pulau Komodo. Submitted as Proceeding of National Seminar on Herpetology 2007 in November 2007.
2. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Jessop T.S. 2007. First record on Flores hanging parrot Loriculus flosculus in
3. Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Ariefiandy, A., Jessop T., Trainor, C. 2007. Current Population estimates and nest characters of the Yellow–crested Cockatoo (Cacatua sulphurea) on
4. Jessop, T.J., Sumner, J., Imansyah, M.J., Purwandana, D., Ariefiandy, A., Seno, A. 2007. Distribution, seasonal use, and predation of Orange-footed Scrubfowl incubation mounts on
5. Schellekens, M., Trainor, C.R., Encalado, J.J.R., Imansyah, J. 2007. Status of the Pied Imperial Pigeon Ducula bicolor and Pink-necked Green Pigeon Treron vernans on